Saturday, July 30, 2022

3D Art III, Project 3 - Week 3 Milestones (Game Resolution Model, Normal Bake, and Textures)

 So, first things first - as my last few schedules have shown, I thought we had the regular full four weeks for this project, which was not the case.  Fortunately, I was able to adapt just fine and pick up the pace appropriately, so I haven't really fallen behind.  In any case, this time around, my tasks were to create the game resolution model, bake the normals in substance, and create the textures, all of which I was able to do just fine.  Because I had kept around so much WIP geometry over the course of making the high-res model, it wasn't too difficult to create the game res version - I just had to go in, trim away some of the excess detail, and clean up the topology, and I was ultimately left with a nice, clean model that, with the (not pictured) glass dome, sits at a relatively comfortable 11.5K triangles.  The bakes and the creation of the texture weren't much trouble, either, and it was pretty smooth sailing to get to this point.  I'd consider the textures complete at this point, but the last few days of the project I'm leaving open for any tweaks needed, and to create a very simple translucent material for the dome in Unreal, where I'll be taking the final screenshots.  So, with that all out of the way, let's see how I did.






Week 1 - Proxy model, start high resolution model - Deadline Met!

Week 2 - Finish high resolution model - Deadline Met!

Week 3 - Game res model, UVs, initial bake (and also work on the textures) - Deadline Met!

"Week" 4 - Finalized materials and textures displayed in-engine - Final Deadline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Portfolio Development - Project 3, "Week" 4

 Okay, so, it really hasn't been a week.  My Ventures project didn't need any more props or environment assets from me, so I wound u...